EGIS case study
Covercard fixed-dose combination MINERVA research
Background of the research
Coverex, a leading medicine with perindopril content is a product of Egis Pharmaceuticals PLC . It is one of the most frequently applied antihypertensive drugs, and it has been a highly valued brand on the antihypertensive market for many years.
In line with the growth of the fixed combination drugs market, Egis has introduced its ACE inhibitor/ calcium channel blocker fixed-dose combination medicine Covercard, which contains amlodipin , another active ingredient besides perindopril.
In preparation for the launch of this new medicine, we conducted a research regarding the position of the drug within the field of therapy. The research aimed to identify the place of this new Coverex-brand-member in therapeutic application.
Aims and questions related to the research
- What should the position of this new fixed-combination drug be in a way in which it does not
take patients away from Coverex?
- How can the four dosage options be presented as advantageous options for doctors?
- What therapeutic guidelines should doctors receive regarding the application of the four
- To what extent should prevention be emphasized to doctors?
The research method and the sample
In order to answer the questions we carried out a 12-person MINERVA group with the participation of cardiologists and general practitioners who treat patients with high blood pressure (5 cardiologists, 7 general practitioners). The research group conducted by our professionals took three hours.
MINERVA is a paradigm-shifting marketing tool developed by ABACULUS GROUP. It facilitates deeper understanding of human thinking and decision making. It helps in decoding the actions and behavior of others. This method, unlike others, is able to overcome distortion factors. It provides a much more genuine picture of what is really going on inside the participants when they have to make a choice or decision.
We used several psychological tools derived from psychodrama, psychoanalysis, cognitive and behavioral therapy, symbol therapy, art therapy and cultural anthropology during the MINERVA research. In addition the analysis and observation of group dynamic processes played an important role in the conceptual background. According to the three-hour session we analyzed the research and we presented the results to our Client within two weeks.
Visual communication and keywords regarding the research analysis
- Also, the brand name (COVERCARD) allows for capitalizing on all the different meanings hidden in the word, e.g. „cover a card” = to trump in a card game.
- In this context, the dynamics and purpose of the action are very important!
- The member of the target group can choose any of the options; they will stay within the same circle.
- Arranging the 4 options in one solution is also very important. To communicate this we recommend “rounding” a square — show a square within a circle.
- Professional alchemy; following tradition. There is a large portion of self expression in this, based on important knowledge of the profession; because the 4 options also symbolize the 4 basic elements.
Business results – outstanding sales growth after implementing the marketing communication
- COVERCARD rose to an internationally-leading position in a short period of time
- COVERCARD could grow without cannibalizing the other two products of the company
- COVERCARD was awarded the title: ‘2009 Drug of the Year’
COVERCARD rose to the top in a remarkably short time, outperforming the previous market leader. COVERCARD is the only product that achieved such a quick and aggressive sales growth.
“Drug of the year” on the market of cardiovascular therapies according to physicians in 2009.